- How to form and maintain a nonprofit corporation in Washington State.
Download this PDF version of this handbook.
ALL nonprofits must be familiar with the guidelines and procedures within this handbook or risk loss of their nonprofit status.
- Thinking of starting a nonprofit corporation? Want to establish 501(c)(3) exempt status? Go to https://www.sos.wa.gov/corps/nonprofitinformation.aspx
- Planning to raise money from the public? If your nonprofit organization is, or plans to, raise funds from the public, it may also be required to register with the Charities Program of the Washington Secretary of State. Registration with the Charities Program is separate from and in addition to filings required under corporate law. Go to https://www.sos.wa.gov/corps/nonprofitinformation.aspx
- Obtaining an application for tax-exempt status
Most organizations applying for exemption must use specific application forms. Go to http://www.irs.gov/Charities-&-Non-Profits/Obtaining-an-Application-for-Tax-Exempt-Status for more information.
- A county wishing to apply for dependent status with the MGFWS should download one of the following forms.
Download the doc file if you wish to complete it on a computer.
Download the PDF file if you wish to complete it in pen.
- Secretary of State Corporations Division
P.O. Box 40234
Olympia, WA, 98504-0234
Phone (360) 753-7115
- With the Secretary of State:
- Go to Corporations Division
- Click on the link marked “Corporations Search”
- Enter your organization’s official name or UBI in the search box and click “search”
- Enter the name exactly as registered or search using only a portion of non-profit’s name, e.g. master gardener foundation.
- With the Internal Revenue Service:
- To learn about status as a 501(c)(3) organization, click here.
- NOTE: The procedures above are also available in the MG Statewide Staff Handbook listed under “Guidelines and Procedures” at the official WSU Master Gardener web site.
- Consult with your local insurance professional about your needs and rates.
- For information on fundraising provided by WSU, click here. (pdf)
– see chapter 5
- Local Master Gardener foundations, associations, etc., may be willing to share their forms, bylaws, policies, etc., with other foundations. Check back for a list of WSU Master Gardener Program websites to help you locate a particular county foundation, etc.
- You may need to install Adobe Acrobat Reader® on your computer to view and print files in PDF format. Should you need further information about downloading Adobe Acrobat Reader®, click here.